flag Egypt Egypt: Statistical Overview

Capital: Cairo


Total Population: 109,262,178
Natural Increase: 1.7%
Density: 108 Inhabitants/km²
Urban Population: 42.9%
Population of main cities: Cairo (9,293,700); Alexandria (5,107,600); Giza (4,212,800); Subra Al-Haymah (1,187,800); Port Said (760,200); Suez (740,900); Mansoura (570,300); El Mahalla El Kubra (543,300); Tanta (528,700)
Ethnic Origins: The Egyptian population is ethnically very homogeneous. More than 99% of the population is of Egyptian origin.
Official Language: Classic Arabic is the official language of the State; however, only about 50% of the population understands it. Egyptian Arabic (Masri) is the language spoken by the entire population.
Other Languages Spoken: Armenian, Domari, Nubian and Dongola.
Business Language(s): Egyptian Arabic and English. Some members of the business community also speak French and German.
Religion: 93.8% of Egyptians are Muslims (predominantly Sunni). The other religions represent 6.2% of the population. Coptic Christians form the main religious minority and the primary Christian community of the East.
Literacy Rate: 71.4%

Local Time:

It is %T:%M %A In Cairo

Exchange Rate on :

National Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP)

Country Overview

Area: 1,001,450 km²
Type of State: Republic based on the Constitution adopted by referendum in January 2014 (amended in 2019). The State has a presidential system of Government.
Type of Economy: Lower-middle-income economy; Emerging financial market.
The Egyptian economy essentially relies on tourism, revenue from the Suez Canal, revenue from private transfers and the export of oil and gas.
HDI*: 0.690/1
HDI (World Rank): 108/188

Note: (*) The HDI, Human Development Index, is an Indicator Which Synthesizes Several Data Such as Life Expectancy, Level of Education, Professional Careers, Access to Culture etc.



Telephone Code:
To call from Egypt, dial 00
To call Egypt, dial +20
Internet Suffix: .eg
Computers: 3.7 per 100 Inhabitants
Telephone Lines: 10.2 per 100 Inhabitants
Internet Users: 44.1 per 100 Inhabitants
Access to Electricity: 100% of the Population

Foreign Trade in Figures

Foreign Trade Indicators 20172018201920202021
Imports of Goods (million USD) 61,62772,00070,91959,84383,503
Exports of Goods (million USD) 25,60427,62428,99326,63043,626
Imports of Services (million USD) 16,08217,83020,41517,12722,951
Exports of Services (million USD) 18,61322,91324,25314,37621,897

Source: WTO – World Trade Organisation, Latest data available.


Any Comment About This Content? Report It to Us.

© eexpand, All Rights Reserved.
Latest Update: September 2023

Return to top